Sunday, July 16, 2023

A Fern-like Vine

I discovered a strange looking vine growing on a fence at my sister-in-law's house. I had never seen it before so I asked for some seeds. 

We moved to Virginia (from Alabama) in 1999 and I must have brought those seeds with me. I strowed them along a tall fence in the back yard of our new home. They came up and for a season or two was doing quite well and then..... gone!

                                                                   (my photograph)

Years went by,  probably five or so, when one day I saw a small sprout of fern looking vine starting up the fence again. It was back after all those years. 

                                                            OUR FEATURE FLOWER

                                                                    CYPRESS VINE

It's native of Mexico and Central America and grows very well in the southern states of the US. It has fern like foliage which will close up in hot sun but opens back when in a cooler atmosphere. The red star-shaped flowers are abundant on the vines and are quite striking. They are small so it takes a lot of them to make a statement. 

                                                               (my photograph)

Butterflies and hummingbirds love them. 

I wonder why we don't see more of this plant since we are to encourage the butterflies in our gardens. 

I moved away from my house 9 years ago and that plant is still going strong for the new occupants. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this vine. Easy to maintain as it dies back after summer for me. Re seeds and I am so glad to have more to plant on my trellis. You are so right, the hummers love it and I love watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful vine. I've never seen it before. Thanks for the share Latane!

    ReplyDelete